Thursday, 5 March 2009

Why do some people feel so important?

It is amazing how important some people believe they are. Its almost as if they need to approve of everything I do with my life. Perhaps, even, I might soon need their permission before I can breathe air. Nonsense! What is this life? A number of years and then its death and the grave for each and every one of us. Why do people feel so important, when in a matter of years, every single one of them will be dead and turned to dust?

Why should I care what they think, or what they believe? They are free to think whatever they want! But whatever they think or believe, it should have no bearing on my life whatsoever. Frankly, I couldn't care less what 'Musa' dislikes, since it is completely irrelevant to me. I do not need to be approved of, because I already approve of myself and there are those who approve of me regardless of the flaws. Nobody should think that because they disapprove of me, my life is blighted in any way. If anything, their absence from my life makes for a less restricted, a freer and a more peaceful existence. It was I who severed my contact with them, and I did it deliberately with my eyes wide open. I don't need such people in my life, regardless of how important they think they are. I am capable and competent and I am able to function perfectly independently without their involvement. There are other people in my life who accept me, respect me and love me for who I am. I am what I am, and I accept myself. And nothing anybody says or thinks about me can change that.
I refuse to feel bad about myself no matter what these people think of me, because I know who I am better than they do. As I have said over and again, these people are not a part of my life and what they think of me is irrelevant to me. The sooner they got used to that, the better for them. They should focus on their own lives and leave me alone. I am fine as I am, thank you very much.

5 comments:

Naijadude said...

Fiery!! Just breathe.... breathe...Its so unfortunate when ppl try to impress their opinion on one!
Just do you.. easier said than done, but hey, thats all thats needed!!

Goodluck man....

Anengiyefa said...

Thanks bro. Its at times like this that one needs true friends. I appreciate..

CodLiverOil said...

This does beg the question, what triggered this off? (But that maybe something you choose not to disclose).

I've felt that way many times myself and have adopted what you have voiced on this blog. Although I can't say that I have been understood, but life is too short to be bothering yourself about people who don't care or understand you. So one just learns to move on and get on and make the most of what is left of our lives.

Anengiyefa said...

@CodLiverOil, what triggered this off is posted in the comments section of my very first blog post. The Anonymous goon has persisted in invading my inbox with uncouth comments which I have now decided to reject. I'm aware that he represents several others. I'm really glad I started this blog and I'm grateful for the support of friends like you. Thanks a million.

CodLiverOil said...

Anengiyefa, thanks for pointing that out to me, I now understand.

Also, by the same token, I would like to add that one should not over-estimate the extent of one's influence on others or even try to overplay our role in other people's lives. This point is lost on many people, but this is something I try to keep in mind at all times.