Friday, 10 April 2009

Is this a gay blog?

Is it? I'm not sure you know...I mean, when the blog was started it was the intention for it to be about my thoughts and for it to be a venue at which to express in the written word, the myriad of different emotions that I go through from day to day, from blog post to blog post. But reviewing the posts that have appeared on the pages of this blog since it was started roughly 5 weeks ago, what I see is a preponderance of posts relating to my sexual orientation. Well, I suppose thoughts about sex and sexual orientation occupy a greater portion of my mind than I had realised before. It seems so natural to talk about the things that you're thinking about, the things that matter to you doesn't it?

Actually, I am quite pleased that this blog provides the opportunity to say the things that I am saying, because there aren't too many places at which a gay African man gets to speak as freely as I am and have been able to do on here, and this can only be a good thing. But as to whether the blog is a gay blog, I'm still uncertain. I would prefer to see it as a blog that speaks out for me, a gay man, while at the same time affirming the liberation that I feel. To the majority of my fellow Africans who believe that homosexuality is anathema to our continent, listen up: It is you who by your fear and rejection of homosexuality have chosen to keep yourselves in bondage. I don't have a problem with being gay, so if you've got a problem with it, the problem is yours not mine. While you deal with your problem, I would like to get on with my life.

10 comments:

C'est moi said...

It is a blog...and a darn good one at that,if i may so.A great blog by a strong,proud,gay african man...ain't too many things in the world that can beat that :)

Keep doing what you're obviously well gifted at mister,there are those of us right here..enjoying it..and 101% right behind you all the way! :)

Anengiyefa said...

Wow, C'est moi, thanks. Merci beaucoup!

Tamaku said...

Well said. No more waiting in the wings for our turn. I echo C'est moi's comments, you are the strong, proud gay African man, something special!

Anengiyefa said...

Well, thanks Tamaku. I read that and blushed so hard, my face is now a very bright pink! lol

CodLiverOil said...

Too early to say, if the blog is gay or not. But at least it doesn't overlook a key aspect of people's humanity ie sexuality from the view point of a sexual minority, which for Africans is hardly talked about because it's counter the culture or against religious doctrines.

I think if your mind is opened to that, and other "taboo" subjects, the blog will be recognised as being honest and open. To me that is far more important than being a "gay" blog.

Far too often Africans hardly talk about "sticky issues", by not doing so they think they are somehow wishing them away.

Confront issues and face them in a clear and unambigous manner, give a point of view (as you have been doing). That is what counts, the fact that I like the owner of the blog makes it even more pleasurable.

Thank you for creating it.

Anengiyefa said...

CodLiverOil, thanks for that comment. Getting some feedback from those who find the time to read what is posted on this blog, has the effect of providing direction and focus. It also opens my eyes to those things which others can see that I have been unable to recognise on my own. With the blog, I do not have a set agenda. The blog came into being purely from an overflow of a desire to express myself in ways that hitherto I had been unable to do. I am grateful for all of your comments.

On a lighter note, I think I now have an idea how it must feel to give an acceptance speech at the Oscars :)

Gay Nairobi Man said...

You do have a great blog... if turns out to be gay, all the better but don't let yourself get contained by labels. I set up a gay blog ab-intio and although I don't regret it, I sometimes want to post on other matters regarding my life and whats happening in Africa. I find that I cant because of my blog philosophy.

I enjoy coming here..

Anengiyefa said...

Hi GNM, its great to see you here. Yes, I agree its wise not to allow oneself to become restricted by labels. After all, gay we may be, but we still live in the real world and participate in it just like everybody else. However, its not easy to rein in the gay man that is in you, because one doesn't often get the chance to fly in the wind as one is able to do online. Also, as CodLiverOil has already correctly pointed out, our sexuality is a key aspect of our humanity.

I think I can safely presume that it is exactly for this reason that your blog when you started it, was intended to roar about that side of us which hardly sees the light of day, and to shed some light on the reality of life for people like us who are often overlooked and misunderstood. I appreciate your advice and defer to you as one who has been blogging for much longer than I have. I must confess, I've been an admirer of your blog for years. Thanks GNM.

Anonymous said...

There aint nothing wrong with this being a gay blog. Like it or not, minorities are defined by what makes them different. Your outlook on the world is different because you are gay, your sense of social justice is heightened because you have been discriminated against and the list goes on. Trying not to be a gay blog is akin to asking Martin Luther King Jnr. to contain his blackness.

As a super-minority; gay and Africa, our worldviews are so unique that we can't help but be consumed by it. This seems to have been the case for me since my self-acceptance. Before that, denial convinced me that I had no need to define myself- but we all do.


Donald

Anengiyefa said...

Denial of one's true self must be one of the greatest injustices that one can inflict on oneself. Moreover, without self-acceptance it would be wrong to seek the acceptance of others.

A very common problem that we see in he world today is where the loudest homophobic voices have been confirmed later to be themselves gay men who have failed to accept their own selves.

You are absolutely correct Donald. We cannot divorce ourselves from our sexuality because it is integral to who we are..