Friday, 3 April 2009

There is more to a man than his sexual orientation

I would rather that people did not think of others in terms of their sexual orientation. However, the reality is that most people do, but usually in relation to gay people. I've never heard of a heterosexual man who when he has to introduce himself says, "Hi, my name is David, and I'm straight." Usually, he's just David and nothing more. Nobody cares who he loves, or who he shares his bed with at night. So why is a person who is not "straight" like David above, expected to accept an identity that pertains to the gender of the person he is sexually attracted to or falls in love with? A man who is gay is a man first of all. I see myself as a man, an African man, a member of the human race, but of course I'm gay too. But being gay is just a part of who I am, it is not ALL of who I am as a person. There is no requirement for heterosexual people to go around telling everyone what their sexual orientation is. Sexual orientation is only an issue for gay people, because it is the one thing which makes us different from the majority. Having said that, sexual orientation is nothing more than that, "sexual orientation". It has no bearing on a person's character, or on his capacity and capability to function as a productive and valuable member of the community. There are kind, sensible, intelligent, compassionate, loving people who are gay, but conversely, there are mean, selfish, dishonest, wicked people who are heterosexual. Our sexual orientation does not define us as people. And although I am proudly gay, I am reluctant to make my sexual orientation the foundation for the things that I do with my life.

5 comments:

Amooti, Uganda said...

Hear him..hear him.... In Uganda, when a Father was asked about the allegations that his prominent assistant, a popular "dancing father" is gay, he retorted that he alluded to the fact that he knows his brother so well because judging from the way he thinks, there is no way he can be gay!

Judging from the way my own brother thinks, I can imagine he would react the same way too!

Oh what a world!

Anengiyefa said...

Hi Amooti, what is a "dancing father"? Please clarify...

C'est moi said...

Preach it,preacher! :)

Amooti, Uganda said...

Well the dude actually has carved out a name for himself in the music industry in Uganda. He recently won himself an award in Uganda's secular music Pearl of Africa Music awards in the gospel category. its interesting to see a catholic father complete in cleric robes pulling trendy dance strokes! That is why he is called "The Dancing Father!"

Amooti, Uganda said...

Amooti, Uganda said: "...he retorted that he alluded to the fact that...."?????!!!!!!!*^%$#&!..Oooops....