Friday, 26 June 2009

Where were you when you heard Michael Jackson died?

I was so struck last night when I heard the news. I was one of the first outside the US to hear of the news of Michael Jackson's death, since just as on that night when Princess Diana's death was announced, I was listening to the news on the BBC news channel as I tend to do late at night before going to bed. During the news itself, there was 'breaking news' to say that the King of Pop had been rushed to a hospital close to his rented mansion in Los Angeles, where he was found by paramedics to be "not breathing". CPR they said, was performed as they rushed him to hospital and live pictures were shown of crowds gathering outside the hospital. Then immediately after the news, came a 'special news report'. "In the last few minutes the respected LA Times and TMZ have confirmed that the star Michael Jackson has died." I couldn't believe how shocked I was, mainly because the news was so unexpected and the death so sudden. I sent text messages breaking the sad news to everyone I could think of in England, Nigeria, Kenya, Uganda and Saudi Arabia, although in the three latter countries I knew my friends would already be asleep.

Uncannily, this death occurred on the same day we heard that Farrah Fawcett had lost her battle with cancer. I'm so sad this morning. Pity its one of those days when I must compose myself, get to work and deal with some very serious issues. Michael Jackson was due to play a series of 50 concerts starting at the O2 Arena in London this summer. I'm going to miss him so much...

10 comments:

Tamaku said...

I was working late so I caught it breaking on CNN and the news agencies. Sad when an icon dies but my thoughts are with his family and friends. RIP.

Anengiyefa said...

Oh Tamaku, this is so shocking. Its like one of those momentous events, the release of Nelson Mandela from prison; Neil Armstrong the first man on the moon; the assasination of President Kennedy, moments that are remembered by where people were when they heard the news. I'm so sad. Who is going to console me.....

Rox said...

Aaaww, all will be well honey. My sincerest condolences to his near and dear and those who genuinely wished the man well, it is the end of an era and I grieve with you.

As for the consolation bit, surely there must be a handsome, well-chiselled man as heart-broken as you and looking for a cuddle? Life has a funny way of presenting opportunities and its your cue to recognize them, hint hint.....good luck hon

Anengiyefa said...

Hi Rox, thanks for your good wishes. No, there is no one at all, let alone "handsome and well-chiselled." If only... :( But as you said, I'll keep my eyes peeled, just in case.

Mama Shujaa said...

Within seven minutes of my walking thru the door from work, starving; having just washed my hands in the kitchen after popping some leftovers in the microwave (had not eaten since bfast); hubby walks out of the master bedroom (where he'd been watching the news) and barely whispers "...Michael has died."

I was not hungry any more. Just sad. Really really sad.

Rock With You. That is the one that does it the most for me. The one that helps me remember things my soul wants to forget. Those things that make me who I am. Those occurences, the cockles that line my heart. Rock With You revives those memories, delivers them to the forefront of my brain, because they matter. Because "...even when the groove is dead and gone, yeah, you know that love survives, so we can rock forever..."

Michael Jackson, Rest In Peace.

Anengiyefa said...

Mama Shujaa, we're all going to miss Michael so much. This afternoon, after what I had to do at court in the morning, I drove straight home in a sullen mood, (I couldn't face the thought of going to sit in the office) and on the car stereo was Dirty Diana playing over and over...I just loved Michael so much, despite all the foibles..The world has lost someone truly great, an irreplaceable icon. I'm really really sad today...

Tessa said...

Yes, Anengiyefa, I am sad too. So sad. He was a troubled man, but with a talent of sheer genius and he was as generous as the universe to share it with us. A music legend, his name will live on forever. Hamba khale, Michael, go gently. Siyabonga - thank you.

Anengiyefa said...

Hello Tessa, welcome. Its wonderful to have you on here. Yes, Michael was a great genius, one like the world does not see very often. Totally irreplaceable. That he was disturbed is understanable too, when viewed in the context that he never had a normal life, since from childhood he was forced to deal with fame and was never given the chance to develop normally as most of us are. May his soul rest in peace.

c'est moi said...

It just felt so unreal & almost like a huge joke..i put on the TV around 7:30am this morning to listen to the Breakfast news as usual..and they were showing clips of his music...i thought but his 02 "This is it" concert is not till July...then i sort of heard the voiceover using some words in the past tense and just as i was about to turn up the volume to hear better...on came Kate Silverton with those surreal words "The king of pop,Michael Jackson has died.."

Shock....sheer,utter,absolute & completely crushing...

RIP M.J. you put a whole new meaning to the word icon...

Amooti, Uganda said...

Actually, I awoke to Anengiyefa's message on my phone " Michael Jackson is dead". It came in round about 2pm but was too knocked out when I got home that I did not hear the beeping tone for text messages when your text came in.

As i switched off the alarm I saw the message and was greatly disturbed. To cut the long story short I succeeded in getting to work pretty late because I had to switch on the tele something I never do in the morning just to catch any streaming stories on CNN or our local TVs.

I was greatly disturbed. Only that at midnight, which is the time I usually hit the sack, his song "Black or white' was played on one of our TV music programmes that runs way into the morning and I sat back hoping it was "the last one' then I hit the sack. But two trucks were played back to back and rushed to bed after since I risked waking up late. At 5.25am the alarm duly went off and Poooooooosh...."I message ....Anengiyefa"!