Sunday, 12 July 2009

How OLD are you?

My boss turned 50 the other day, but I found that I couldn't join my young colleagues who spent what seemed like hours whispering about how OLD the boss is. I just could not accept that 50 is old. How is 50 OLD? Doing a quick calculation, it was clear that I am not too far from 50 myself. Let us assume that I am 10 years or thereabouts from 50. 10 years ago doesn't seem that long ago. I suppose since the colleagues in question are in their 20s, to them 50 is still almost 30 years away. Therefore 50 would seem old to them, but it sure did NOT seem old to me at all!

But this got me thinking. There are 50 year olds who look and act 'old'. But there are also those who (like my boss) at 50 still look and act as they did when they were in their mid to late 30s. Similarly, there are 70 year olds who seem really ancient, bent over and can't walk without the aid of a walking stick. While others even at 75 are energetic, youthful, full of vitality and run marathons.

What does this mean? Well, it means that age is just a number. Age is chronological, whereas being 'old' or 'youthful' is a state, not just a number. So how OLD are you?

10 comments:

Naughty feeling said...

I am 18 but 10 at heart and behave like a 42 year old. Stupid, huh!

Mwistar said...

I am 29 going on 40 without the perks.

Rox said...

depends on the context, but I feel 18 most days!!
p/s: It's all in the mind.....dont forget water and a healthy diet though

Anengiyefa said...

Rox, yes, and lots of moisturiser to keep the skin supple :)

Naijadude said...

I feel 50 and I sometimes act 45 meanwhile I am less than that!!

Anengiyefa said...

Hi Naijadude, I can't work out the difference between the way a 50 year old would act and the way a 45 year old would. :-)

Mama Shujaa said...

50 is the new 40 bro! As for my age, put it this way, many a times, folks are agape with wonder when hubby and I introduce our oldest, a beautiful 24 year old! We look and feel youthful. Good genes, healthy, happy, ecstatic living. Yes, and moisturizer, cucumber slices on the eyes, etc...all works wonders!

Anengiyefa said...

Mama Shujaa, I'm agape with wonder too. 24 year old? Wow! Isn't that just wonderful!

CodLiverOil said...

J'ai quarante-et-un (41)ans, bientot je serai quarante deux (42).

Gay Nairobi Man said...

Like you am staring at the Big 40.. and I feel and mostly act 24..that is the birthday party I last blacked out!

Anyhow, I never worry about the age thing not coz I don't look my age but because I live a fabulous fulfilled life.

Ask Naughty feeling..he is 18 and we get on like a house on fire!