Monday, 6 July 2009

WTF!

I appeared before the Immigration Appeals Tribunal this morning. I mean, I always knew that there were black, even Nigerian judges at these and other Tribunals. But heck, I never thought I would have an encounter where not only is the judge a Nigerian, but the Home Office presenting officer too, (sort of like the prosecutor), a very very smart lady indeed. Then my client too is a Nigerian. And then me. And I was like wow! Whats going on here?

Instinctively, when you look at the Tribunal's list on the notice board and find that your judge is an African like yourself (and your client), the first thing is to think that, "hey, my client stands a good chance..." But then it transpires that your opponent too is a Nigerian, just like your client, and all thoughts that your client will find favour with the judge go straight out of the window. The case goes ahead, all of us acting as if we don't even notice that we all are from the same land. Let me put it this way...there was no spring in my step when I finally left that building. My client f**ked up while giving evidence and that Home Office woman was so damn good, she had him cornered and spun him around in circles. My poor client kept looking to me for rescue, but even I was helpless to save him from that woman's talons. Poor man, his case was so bad though...

8 comments:

Mama Shujaa said...

Nawa-o! It is a new level(?) playing field...cultural barriers (and their removal) now require innovative approach? :-)

Anengiyefa said...

Hahaha, Mama Shujaa, its almost as if there are no longer any cultural barriers to be removed o! I'm still trying to get over my bewilderment :-)

Tamaku said...

So sad people insist on staying in a foreign country (undocumented and unwanted) or have insufficient grounds for residency rather than go back home.

Anengiyefa said...

Hi Tamaku, it may well be that even as this person stays in a "foreign country (undocumented and unwanted)", he is still in a better position to provide for his family back in his home country. It may even be that what he earns as an illegal immigrant in the UK, is more than what he would earn if he had remained at home, where he would only become a liability to some other member of his family who has managed to make it across the Sahara or the Atlantic Ocean.

Yes, there are those who make it and live well in Africa, but the majority through no fault of their own, are denied the opportunity to prosper. My dear, lets not talk as if we don't know what the reality is for most of our fellow African brothers and sisters. Peace.

Naughty feeling said...

Am so sorry for him. I would understand his position and i can't judge since i am part of the same community.

I would have loved to see the ferocity. You could have brought me along as a parallegal. I am in love with high octane courtrooms. I would have liked to see how she let the witness hang himself. Wow!

Anengiyefa said...

Hehe, Naughty Feeling, you've been watching too much TV it seems, lol. The reality is not even half as dramatic as in movies. You're funny, lol

Naijadude said...

Its a case of ouch! I need not finish the post to know what the outcome will be. Even the smartest client will still fumble because the prosecutor knows exactly whats going on back home and she'd be ready to fire him regardless!!

Question though: Why is it that immigrant like one self is more of an barrier than the "white" guy?

Anengiyefa said...

LOL! Naijadude, you're spot on with that. Its almost like the immigrant in a position of power or authority wants to prove to you that you are still an immigrant, whereas he has become an important person in Oyinboland. lol.

You never want to be caught without a valid ticket on the train by an African inspector. The white guy might let you off if you at least tried to offer a reasonable explanation..