Tuesday, 1 September 2009

Flexisigmoi...what is it again?

I'm going into hospital tomorrow morning. My doctor thinks there is a need for them to send a telescope into my bowel, to find out if there is a recurrence of that condition for which I was subjected to radiotherapy some years ago. I think the procedure I'm having tomorrow is a flexisigmoidoscopy, but I may be wrong too. I am absolutely terrified of hospitals. The operating theatre, those bright lights and the masked and gloved humanoids standing around you as you lie on the table, helpless and completely at their mercy, conjure images in my mind of being in an alien spaceship having been abducted by aliens from outer space.

Its still about 20 hours before I'm due to go in and my heart is already beating at twice its normal rate. My sis was saying to me when we spoke this morning, that what I should be worrying about is whether after the procedure the doctors will come back to me with good news, as in, giving me the all clear, rather than being worried about what she thinks of as a perfectly safe minor invasive procedure. The word "invasive" alone causes me to shudder...So guys, if I'm not back here by Thursday, then you may safely assume that I never made it out of that hospital alive..

4 comments:

Naijadude said...

Just relax, you will be fine. I am quite sure the doctors are competent enough to probe in there safely! Trust me they dont wanna lose you, you're important to the society......

Goodluck my man!

Anengiyefa said...

Thanks Naijadude. I'm trying to be strong. I was amused this afternoon when I remembered how as a child I had been taken to a children's clinic for a regular check up. Although the nurses only wanted to put me on the scales to weigh me, I broke free from them and ran as hard as I could. My mum and the nurses all chased after me causing much commotion in the crowded clinic. And when they caught me it was a real battle to get me on those scales. To this day I still get teased by my siblings..I have a dread for hospitals..

Rox said...

I dont mean to tease you but you remind me of my those little kids I encounter at hospitals screaming at the top of their voices at the site of a white doctor's coat, lol, not that am any better mind you......But you, my dear, will be fine and come Thursday I will find you here. All the best, and I hope there's a hot doctor there to distract you!

Amooti, Uganda said...

Hey Anengiyefa, I just got to read this on 3rd Sept so I should reckon you are out of theater by now. And since you are reading this, then you got breath in your cowardly manhood!

If I were you, I dont think I would have been terrified by this flexisigiwhateva. I would look forward to it and probably find it quite...........