Friday, 30 October 2009

Help!

Tomorrow is the wedding day of the oldest daughter of my boss. Now, in all honesty, I will avoid attending a wedding if I can. But this is one wedding that I simply cannot afford not to attend, well, not if I want to hold on to my place in the boss's good books..This morning I took to the cleaners that not-very-often-used Burberry blazer, (you know, that navy-blue one with the shiny nautical buttons). I arranged for the tan slacks to be pressed and even got out those Anville style rawhide boots that have been kept in their box, awaiting the right moment. That is all sorted and I've even checked the city map and plotted the best route to travel through Saturday morning heavy traffic to arrive at the church in time. But one small thing remains...

I cannot possibly arrive empty-handed at the wedding reception of my boss's oldest daughter! So obviously, I will need to buy a gift. But I hate shopping! And that's even when I know what I want to buy! When I have no clue what to buy, its much much worse. I knew this moment would eventually come, and the sensible thing would have been for me to give myself enough time to think about an appropriate gift, move around a bit and get something nice, you know, something special that the newly weds will appreciate. But I thought perhaps if I didn't think about it and shoved it to the back of my mind...

Anyway here I am trying to finish off the bits of work left on my desk, (that lady at S & Co. has taken too long to send that email I've been waiting for all morning...), complain on this blog, then rush off to the shops to see if I can find something the couple won't already have.. I've thought about the following items already...A kettle, or an iron, or a dinner set, or a toaster, or a set of wine glasses or..and now you see my problem. It is likely that all of these items will already be among the gifts that the couple will receive tomorrow. Sometimes I wish I had a wife, then I could leave such difficult matters for her to sort out, lol. Hey guys, I'm crying out for help here..

4 comments:

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

"Sometimes I wish I had a wife, then I could leave such difficult matters for her to sort out, lol."

hahaha.

Hope you found what you needed.

Anengiyefa said...

Lol Solomsydelle, I haven't even left my desk yet. Its almost like you were waiting in the wings to pounce on me ..loool

Thanks! I'm just leaving now. I'll buy the first thing I see that catches my fancy.. :)

Haute Haiku said...

Don't worry whatever you send will always be unneeded, unnecessary and oops! hideous to her, sorry! just grab the kettle wrap it up and don't forget the receipt, I hope you have the receipt.

True, you need a wife or maybe better, a fag hag. But that won't be right.

Anengiyefa said...

Hi Haute Haiku, you know, one of my colleagues came up with an ingenious idea. The plan was for each of us to make a small contribution towards buying a substantial gift like a TV or something like that, which in the end turned out to be a perfect idea. Besides, it works out cheaper for all of us... Isn't it amazing how desperate economic times can make for creative thinking? lol..

Hey, welcome and thanks for dropping in...and for the follow too.. :)