Thursday, 28 January 2010

Its not that bad after all..

Okay I said I would provide an update on my situation, seeing the headshrinker and all.. so I went to see him today. He insisted I call him by his first name, Julian, and he turned out to be such a lovely guy, oh, I don't know..

We engaged in what he referred to as 'talk therapy', which I found quite helpful, because sitting on the couch talking to this psychiatrist whom I'd only just met less than half an hour previously, I was so relaxed that I was able to say things to him, things that I've never been able to say to anyone before. And guess what, he made me understand that my reaction to my circumstances was not unusual at all, and he seemed to understand my thoughts in such a way that I never knew anyone could. To cut it short, I came away from that mental-health clinic feeling different, but in a good way. Julian didn't think that I needed medication, but he thought it might help if he set me up with one of his teams that work with people in the community, to keep an eye on me and be there to talk if I needed to talk to someone.

All in all, it was a highly positive experience and I'm glad that I chose to go down that road, despite the stigma that often attaches to those who experience mental health difficulties. Julian assured me that coming to seek help was the best possible thing I could have done.. So thats it for now. Lets see how things pan out, shall we.. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good on you. Well done for making the choice and going through with it.

Anengiyefa said...

Hi Anonymous, thanks for your words of encouragement. At first I thought it might be a bit embarassing having to talk about something like this, but now I realise that it isn't really, and that these experiences are just part of being human. Thanks

.::.~*Dovie*Lee*~.::. said...

I need your help sir. I have opened a new blog called THE BLACK DOLL PROJECT. We are an empowerment blog for black gay men and we are hoping we can reach out to our African brothers to compare and contrast our lives. We hope it will be educational for us here as well as you there in SA. I am in the USA. Please email me at rockthebox@live.com if you are interested in participating.


The blog was just opened yesterday..but you can go view it here--http://theblackdollproject.blogspot.com/


but my main blog, SPANK MY FOOGLEWOOGLE is in my blogger profile if you'd like to go see.

I am a young black gay man in AMERICA. I would love to talk to you about your life where you are sir. Let me know if you are interested please.

CodLiverOil said...

If you have a problem, it is best to talk about it. This African tradition of sweeping things (uncomfortable situations/ facts) under the carpet and labeling it with the excuse that it's "taboo", is for want of a better term a whole load of "crap" as nothing is ever solved by not facing the reality.

Good for you.