Monday, 5 April 2010

Birthday blues..

Another birthday, another day. Another figure added to my age. Birthdays are supposed to be happy, hence the "Happy Birthday" that we say. Of course I've received Happy Birthday text messages from the few who remembered that today is my birthday, even though strangely I am one who never forgets anyone's birthday. But I'm okay with that.

This birthday however is different from previous birthdays. My birthday this year coincides with the Easter holiday and it should feel special. But it doesn't. Perhaps its to do with the fact that one is crossing the threshold into middle age. And the scheduled appointment with the Grim Reaper seems just that bit closer, when there are so many goals and targets that one has set for oneself that are as yet unattained. Its Easter Monday and I have received more Easter greetings than I've received birthday wishes.

Nevertheless, I am grateful that I have been granted the years that I have lived through thus far. And John. Oh, John! I am grateful too that I have John in my life. For the first time ever I can feel secure and confident in a relationship; the love that we share, John and I. There is now someone in my life to whom I can entrust the safety of my heart. And its easy to guess from who I received my sole birthday present. If only John had happened ten years ago. If only...

7 comments:

Akin said...

Hello Anengiyefa,

I never knew but this is to wish you the very best birthday ever - may all your joys be fulfilled and your happiness be so merry in the company of all you love.

May your soul be glad, your heart be filled with pleasure and your body be strong to enjoy all the good things in life.

Many happy returns, no more birthday blues for you, what could have been might have been but what is now sounds pretty good - keep it, hold it, cherish it, love it and ululate about it.

Your friend,

Akin

Anengiyefa said...

Hi Akin

Thank you so much for your sweet words. Its heartening knowing that one has a friend like you in a world that can be so uncaring. Best wishes.

AlooFar said...

Happy birthday. I wish you the best of the New Year.

Cheers.

Anengiyefa said...

Thanks AlooFar. I appreciate it.

Waffarian said...

I know its late, but happy birthday!

I am happy you have John too!God bless him, and God bless you too.

Hugs and best wishes.

Anengiyefa said...

Waffarian, thank you. A belated birthday greeting is better than none at all. I'm really grateful.

laBiscuitnapper said...

That's beautiful. I'm sorry I've been so lax with commenting of late - too much drama going on! - just to say a belated happy birthday and well done on getting what sounds like a very good catch! ; )