Tuesday, 18 May 2010

Lunch time, Fufu time..


I'm working on a project. And what is this project? Its learning how to make perfect fufu. Thank goodness for noise nuisance laws in this country, I'm protected from having to learn to pound it with a mortar and pestle as in this video. But even preparing it from fufu flour over the cooker is still a bit of a challenge.

In Nigeria, fufu is not as commonly eaten as it is in Ghana. Gari (eba) and pounded yam (iyan) are more popular in Nigeria than fufu is. And the fufu of Nigeria is different from that of Ghana, in that, as far as I'm aware Nigerian fufu (akpu) is made entirely from fermented cassava, whereas in Ghana plantains and even cocoyams are added to the cassava paste before it is pounded. And as the lady in this video says, sometimes fufu is made from cocoyam..

Not being a big fan of
fufu myself, why then am I learning how to make it? Simple, John is Ghanaian and he loves his fufu. In fact its his favourite meal... So after fufu what next? Well, next stop is kenkey and then I'll work on banku..

3 comments:

laBiscuitnapper said...

Now you've made me very homesick! I'm longing for my mum's pounded yam and egusi soup...! Though okara would do...

Anengiyefa said...

@laBiscuitnapper, I'll go for eba before pounded yam any day, but its true, one misses such fare. What I miss most though are periwinkles (isem) and smoked oysters (ingba) cooked into the stew.. :)

laBiscuitnapper said...

I have never got to eat any traditional Igbo seafood dishes (my father is not such a big fan!) but we're going back home this summer, so I might drop a hint or two to my aunt. Thank you!