Saturday, 24 April 2010

R I P DAGRIN

Living away from home as I've been doing for many years now, I haven't kept up with the Nigerian music scene as closely as I would have liked. But rapper DaGrin was good, indeed so good that he was nominated for several Hip Hop awards and was due to perform at his first international show next month.

Sadly, this 23 year old whose real name was Oladapo Olaitan Olanipekun passed away two days ago at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH). He died from serious injuries suffered in a ghastly car crash in which the car he was driving collided with a stationary articulated lorry in the dead of night on 14 April, about a week before. He was rushed to hospital, but all efforts to save his life were unsuccessful.

Its difficult not to think that if the infrastructure in Nigeria had been in a better state, this accident might not have occurred. This was a young man, with a brilliant future ahead of him, a future that was not to be. A sad story indeed. May his soul rest in peace.

1 comment:

THERishouldbeAPY said...

This is so sad... I can't help but think the same thing regarding Nigeria's infrastructure and health delivery system. I've traveled to Nigeria several times, and every time I pray to God to keep us all safe from any type of accident. I've never seen an ambulance in Nigeria. The NEW National Hospital in Abuja I visited with my dad had lizards running through the ER. My dad, a physician, just shook his head in dismay. This is supposed to be a sterile environment, for goodness sake.

I love my country, but God forbid I ever fall ill while there. I am sorry to say I do not trust the healthcare system. Many of its deficiencies lie in not having access to proper equipment and funding. How many times do we hear about a cousin or uncle or someone else dying from a treatable condition at a hospital? Or worse, being TURNED AWAY because they are under-staffed? That is what happened to a friend's cousin who was one of the school children in the horrible Sosoliso plane crash a few years ago. He died after being turned away from the hospital.

It is all so disheartening. All I can do is hope and pray the country improves. God bless DaGrin and Nigeria.