Monday, 6 April 2009

The Saxophonist 4

And so it was that Moses and I were hidden in this dark place, the only place where we could be alone for these precious minutes before needs be must he return to his job, and his wife. We held on to each other, both of us acutely aware of how fleeting this moment of joy was. I stroked his face and his moustache and ran my finger across his lips. Moses pressed my hand against his lips and kissed my fingers. "I want to be with you always Moses..." the words spilled out of my mouth before I realised I had said them. He pulled me close and hugged me tightly and as I clung to him my cheek brushed against the stubble on his chin. "How can we baby?" he asked, whispering into the back of my neck as he held me, his breath causing a tingling sensation. "You understand how things are, don't you?"

"Yes", I replied, my head resting on his shoulder, "I do understand, but.." I did not know how to say what I was thinking. Indeed I didn't even know what to think. Here was I with a man who I met only a few days ago, but with whom I had become almost obsessed. In the last couple of hours I had found out he has a wife, but I had also learned that he is just as interested in me as I am in him. Where would this lead us?, I wondered. And just then as if he knew what I was thinking, he blurted out, "Don't worry baby, it'll be alright. We'll work it out somehow." In reply I said "I don't wish to cause you trouble, you know...but the truth is that nobody has made me feel as I do now..." Moses responded by pulling back and looking into my eyes. In his eyes I saw that this man felt exactly the same way as I did. When suddenly, reality came crashing down on us. Moses had to go back inside the club to join the band. Oh, how time flies when you least want it to. He kissed me on the forehead then we smiled at each other like two conspirators, the feeling of guilt was mutual. We walked back to the Shrine, consciously making an effort to look innocent. I knew after this brief but enjoyable encounter that I'd had with Moses, there would not be another chance to be alone with him tonight. He understood that I lived in a student hostel on the campus of the university and I knew he lived with his wife. So the only chance we were going to get to be together again was here at the Shrine, on another day. It was clear to me that I would become a regular visitor to this place for the foreseeable future.

At the end of the show that night, I lingered inside the club not wanting to let Moses out of my sight for as long as I could manage it. He was good. He would steal glances at me but I knew he was being careful because Grace was right there, up front by the stage. Apparently, she was well known by the staff and the other musicians, which was lucky because chatting with them kept her from noticing that Moses was not concentrating fully on what he was doing with the musical equipment. I slowly moved towards the exit in the now near empty hall and slowed to wave goodbye to Moses. With my hands I signalled that I would be here next Tuesday. He nodded and smiled. I knew I was in love with this man.

3 comments:

Amooti, Uganda said...

Hmmmm.... I reckon someone is seeing butterflies and bees here...

Do you play any musical instrument?

Anengiyefa said...

You want to guess?

Amooti, Uganda said...

Ha ha ... i dont usually like being teased with this guessing game because it gets my imagination running wild!!!