Friday, 1 May 2009

Got him out at last

I made it a point when I started blogging that I would never write about my work, not only because I am aware of my duty of confidentiality, but because I think work should remain where it is, at the office. Blogging for me is a hobby, something I've come to enjoy doing.

But today, something happened at work and I feel the need to share it here. My client had been in custody for well over a month. He has been refused bail twice in the last two weeks. First it was because the sureties had failed to attend court with their up-to-date financial details, the second because the name of one of the sureties appeared on the police national computer for some misdemeanour going back 15 years. The Judge was not satisfied therefore that this was a suitable surety and in the meanwhile, my client continued to be detained, much to my chagrin.

Today, I was determined not to walk out of that courtroom with my client still behind bars. Conversely, it appeared that the Judge was equally determined that bail was not to be granted and that my client would be spending this holiday weekend in jail.. It was a battle of wills, the Judge's against mine. And to cut a long story short, I won in the end, because with the arguments that were put forward the Judge's hands were tied and he had no choice but to grant bail, albeit grudgingly. The fact that the bail was reluctantly granted does not appear on the bail sheet. Bail is bail, reluctantly granted or not! My client is out and that is what matters and I feel just great!

4 comments:

Tamaku said...

Well done you! I hope your client knows how much you care.

Anengiyefa said...

Hi Tamaku, well, I hope so too. :)

Amooti, Uganda said...

Hurray..am signing you up! Only problem is that you would have no work.

Anengiyefa said...

Hi Amooti, very funny! lol