Tuesday, 17 November 2009

This is what happens when you fight corruption

I saw this article on the BBC website. It accurately describes the nature of the corruption in my country and how entrenched it is. It also precisely reflects my views. Please read it and then listen to this interview.

Nuhu Ribadu was at Law School at the same time as me. Some have attributed his meteoric rise to prominence to his connections with powerful people in politics. However, his stand on corruption, an issue I care very much about, arouses inspiration.

2 comments:

CodLiverOil said...

I respect Nuhu's solitary (and brave) stand on corruption. In the face of overwhelming odds he has sacrificed alot, and took the fight to the big men/women there. He fronted an agency (the EFCC) that had at the time some teeth ( but now sadly has become rather ineffective).

It just goes to show the depth of the problem of corruption there. He fought valiantly, but in the end hardly made a dent on giant problem.

What can be done to ween Nigeria off it's addiction to corruption, it's like trying to ween an alcoholic from alcohol. It's not impossible, but it won't be easy.

This begs the question, what is the next step? Nuhu started the ball rolling, but what comes next? I fear not much will happen. Gimmicks (ie detaining the largest borrowers from banks) and window dressing (passing cosmetic anti-corruption legislation), is insufficient.

Anengiyefa said...

Hi CodLiverOil, Its clear that this is not a fight that can be carried out by one man alone. There must be a concerted effort by the majority of Nigerians, who must take a stand against this menace.

Unfortunately, I do not see anything like this happening any time soon. All this talk about re-branding does not fool anyone. Last week, I still received a fax in my office from somebody purporting to be a Director of Nigeria's Central Bank, offering me millions of dollars. Yet his email contact was a hotmail address. Don't laugh, its really not funny..