Wednesday, 9 September 2009

The Majorelle Gardens

I used a photograph of these lovely gardens on the front page of my blog and I thought the least I could do is to share some information about the place. The Majorelle Garden is a botanical garden in Marrakech, Morocco. The garden was designed in 1924 by Frenchman Jacques Majorelle (1886-1962) during the colonial period when Morocco was a protectorate of France. The special shade of bold cobalt blue used extensively in the garden is named after him bleu Majorelle.

In 1980 the famous gay French fashion icon Yves Saint-Laurent and his lifelong partner Pierre BergĂ© acquired the gardens. After Yves Saint-Laurent died in 2008 his ashes were scattered in the Majorelle Garden. His partner BergĂ© said during the funeral service: “But I also know that I will never forget what I owe you, and that one day I will join you under the Moroccan palms". The gardens have been open to the public since 1947.

The garden also houses the Islamic Art Museum of Marrakech, whose collection includes North African textiles from Saint-Laurent's personal collection as well as ceramics, jewelry, and paintings by Majorelle. The garden hosts more than 15 bird species, which can be found only in this area of North Africa. There is an extensive array of images of this wonderful place to be found on the Internet. Examples are here and here.

3 comments:

Mama Shujaa said...

Thanks for sharing this. I was wondering where this heavenly place is! Love the history behind it.

c'est moi said...

It's beautiful !!!

Anengiyefa said...

Hi Mama Shujaa, isn't it interesting the way a person's artwork outlives him and immortalises him? I understand that the garden has been maintained in exactly the same condition as it was when it was created more than 80 years ago, although naturally it will be now more mature than it was in its early life. The part about YSL I thought provided a nice twist to the garden's history.

Hi Ces't moi, yes it truly is beautiful. When I first read about it and saw it in pictures, the first thought that came to my mind was, how come I've lived on this planet for decades and never once heard of this wonderful place?