Monday, 19 April 2010

God bless you, you're doing a great job..

"You're doing a great job, thanks and God bless you. Your special number today was powerful and I believe that your ministration on Sunday will be even more powerful..." is the text of the SMS I received from the pastor of my church last Saturday. Its not the first time either that he has commended my efforts as leader of the choir. Sometime ago, I blogged about my appointment as choir leader in January this year. At first it was daunting, the prospect of managing the complex affairs of a choir. But I dug into my role with gusto and have found myself actually enjoying it.

I am in charge of a group of choristers many of who are married women with small children, who also have jobs. So there is the fact that members of the choir often times cannot find the time to attend choir practice, (small children can be such a handful sometimes). Then there are issues concerning childcare, family commitments and so forth, and it hasn't been an easy ride for me. But I've been open and honest with them about the fact that I am quite inexperienced at this. And by appearing to be naive I've somehow warmed my way into their hearts apparently, because all the members seem to be much more enthusiastic about the choir now than I remember them ever being. And this enthusiasm shows too when the choir ministers during the church services.

I think this might have something to do with the fact that soon after my appointment as leader, I delegated various responsibilities to different members. Also, I have been careful to always seek their opinions, listen to their suggestions and defer to the judgement of the more experienced choristers when making decisions. Such that each of them feel as if they are actively participating in the decision making and any previous resentment about my appointment as leader appears now to have dissipated.

It was my idea that rather than attending for choir practice on Saturdays and losing our Saturday evenings, we should instead meet for practice after service on Sunday, a time when I calculated that everyone would be in a good mood. This idea has turned out to be quite popular, hence the improvement in the quality of our performance. It is still my job to choose which song(s) the choir would sing at the Sunday service, teach the song to the choir if necessary and direct the music. But I'm not complaining, because I genuinely love doing this. For next Sunday I have picked this delectable song...

5 comments:

Akin said...

Hello Anengiyefa,

Great praise, so well spoken,
A song to which I am woken,
Could sing but my voice is broken.

Akin

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

ah, you are a choirmaster, ehn? Nice! I remember my mother used to be in the choir and I would sometimes have to sit in on practice. Good times.

Anengiyefa said...

Hello Akin

Thanks for that. I didn't know of your poetic side. Very nice.

Hello Solomonsydelle,

Yes o, that's what I find myself doing. I'm enjoying it too.

Waffarian said...

Nothing to do with your post, but anyway...

I once dated a "choir master". Gosh! It was terrible! That guy used to spend most weekends stuck at church for one thing or the other,(so, lets just say from friday, any weekend plans had to be cancelled) always "choir practise" and then most evenings, playing the piano, browsing you tube looking for songs, then he had to teach them the songs and then I HAD to listen to them and give an opinion...I will never forget one particular song "Emmanuel"...I am still traumatised.

just wondering how your lover is coping...

Hehehehehehehe

Anengiyefa said...

Hello Waffy,

Its delightful to have you on here. John is cool with it. He goes to church himself, so he understands what its like, although I won't say that me being away at church for long hours hasn't tried his patience somewhat. But I'm sure he realises that I do try to make up for lost time ...

Just wondering why 'Emmanuel' would traumatise you. that's if its the same song I'm thinking of... Hmm, I kind of like that song. I think I'll even post it just for you, lol. But not to traumatise you. :) Thanks so much for dropping in.