Saturday, 26 September 2026

Burundi/Uganda/Kenya (Side Note)

When I arrived at this self-catering accommodation late that evening, there were just two small bottles of water in the fridge. It's not that I was expecting to find food in the fridge, but I was somewhat anxious about what I should have for breakfast the following morning. So I asked the caretaker if there was anywhere local I could do some shopping at that late hour. Mind you, I'm travelling alone, and I'm all by myself in this flat. The caretaker guy said I shouldn't worry, that he would go and do the shopping for me. Of course I accepted his offer, I'd been travelling all day and was exhausted. When he returned though, he was carrying a large bag, which when opened contained two large loaves of bread and a crate of two-dozen eggs. This was shopping that was intended for just one breakfast. 

So here I am saddled with this many eggs, and I don't know what to do with them. I've been laughing at the situation all morning. Okay, I ate two eggs yesterday, and maybe I'll have two again this morning, but I'm here for just a few days before moving on to my next destination. Also, I don't intend to be sitting around all day in the flat cooking, when there's so much to be seeing and doing outdoors. So what shall I do with the remaining eggs? I cannot exactly pack them in my bags and take them with me, and I cannot eat all 24 eggs. Maybe I'll just give them as a gift to someone as I'm leaving. 

I'll come back to say what I did with them in the end. Okay, later.


 

No comments:

A Polite, Deliberate and Respectful Communication Style

The Kalenjin people of East Africa, primarily living in Kenya's Rift Valley, are widely recognised for their polite, deliberate, and res...